Amarnath Yatra, the annual pilgrimage for the Lord Shiva devotees, will commence in the last week of June this year. The Amarnath Yatra 2022 will begin on 30th June and conclude on August 11 almost after a gap of two years due to the pandemic. It is a 43 day pilgrimage and for the first time, the devotees shall have an option to choose for helicopter services directly from Srinagar. The bookings for the pilgrimage have already started and the issue of Amarnath yatra permit shall be done on first come first get basis.
Before starting your holy journey, there are some guidelines issued by the Jammu and Kashmir government for the pilgrimage. All the pilgrims are required to mandatorily produce their Aadhaar cards.
The administration must install mobile laboratories for pilgrims, hospitals, or sick animals, take effective sanitization steps, and adopt waste management programs.
Amarnath Yatra significance
It is believed that in this cave Lord Shiva narrated Amar Katha, a story to gain immortality to Goddess Parvati and he wanted to keep it a secret. This Yatra includes other holy sites of great significance.
Yatra to the sacred cave
Amarnath cave or Shakti Peeth lies at an altitude of almost 4000 m and is the sacred abode of Lord Shiva. From the month of June to August, and a natural ice formation of the Shivling is observed inside the cave which is formed due to the ice dropping from the roof. This particular cave also witnesses formation of two other Lingams, one of Goddess Parvati and other of Lord Ganesha.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get ready to explore the world with our newsletter! From hidden gems to must-see destinations, we’ve got all the insider tips to make your next adventure unforgettable.
Important things to know
- All the pilgrims going for Amarnath yatra in 2022 need to carry a medical certificate and form for the same is available at your local bank branch.
- You must also carry some kinds of eatables along with you such as biscuits, chocolates, candies, some snacks, etc. However, food is also available for free at many langars that are organised on the way of Amarnath yatra.
- Pilgrims of Amarnath yatra have to purchase a pre-activated sim card which is available at the base of the camp as the sims of other states do not work in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The minimum age for taking this Amarnath yatra 2022 is 13 years and people above the age of 75 and women who are pregnant are not allowed for this yatra.
- The Access Control Gates at Domel and Chandanwari remain open only from 5 AM to 11AM and the onward movement from Panjtarni to Holy Cave is not allowed after 3 PM.
- The Shrine is managed by Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB)
- It is advisable that pilgrims should not come alone for Amarnath yatra and try to move in groups.
- Pack jackets, sweaters, cap, etc. along with a torch, water-bottle, moisturizer and sunscreen.
Amarnath Yatra 2022 Online Registration
Registration for Shri Amarnath Yatra 2022 is done by filling out the Application Form consisting of an Application Form & Compulsory Health Certificate (CHC), available through designated Bank Branches.
Obtain the prescribed ‘Compulsory Health Certificate as per the Format issued by Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) from the authorised Doctors/ Medical Institutes.
SASB also introduced ‘Group Registration’ to facilitate registration for groups comprising relatives, friends, or neighbours.
Group Registration Guidelines for Shri Amarnath Yatra 2022:
- Obtain Yatra Permits from your nearest Bank, and apply by Registered Post to the Chief Executive Officers.
- The Group Registration begins from a date announced by SASB and concludes on the scheduled date as well.
- Group Registration shall be done on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Individuals below the age of 13 years or above 75 years, and females with more than six weeks of pregnancy shall not be registered for the Yatra.
Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board enables NRI or ex-India pilgrims to register for the Shri Amarnath Yatra.
Registration for NRI/ ex-India Pilgrims:
- Send scanned copies of the mandatory documents to a designated officer:
- A compulsory Health Certificate should be issued by the National Health Services.
- The pilgrims will be informed via email, regarding their journey’s permit.
Download registration documents here:
- Application Form for Amarnath yatra 2022 registration
- List of Bank branches for registration of Amarnath yatra 2022
- List of doctors for health certificate (state-wise)
Important facts about Amarnath Yatra
|Nearest Airport/Railway Station||Srinagar International Airport, Udhampur and Jammu Railway station|
|Weather||frozen throughout the year, in summers glaciers melt, temperature ranges from 15°C to 29°C|
|Activities to do||Trekking, rafting, golfing, helicopter ride, shopping, photography, etc.|
|Difficulty||Moderate to difficult|
|Available mode of transports||Helicopter, pony, walkway|
|Trek length||46 km from Pahalgam and it is 14km from Baltal|
|Highest point elevation||5186m|
Best routes of Amarnath caves
|Baltal to Amarnath||This route is 14km from the cave and though the distance is less, the terrain and the route if quite difficult and for people with good physical strength, a complete round trip can be done in 1-2 days.|
Baltal – Domali – Barari – Sangam – Amarnath Cave
|Pahalgam to Amarnath||This is the most preferred route by most of the pilgrims and its distance from the cave is around 46km. It takes around 3-5 days to reach the cave. One can ride on a pony to make the travel easier.|
Panchtarni to Amarnath cave is around 4km.
Pahalgam – Chandanwadi – Pissu Top – Zoji Bal – Naga Koti – Sheshnag – Warbal – Mahgunas Top – Pabibal – Panchtarni – Sangam – Amarnath Cave
Amarnath Yatra Route map
Best routes and distance guide for Amarnath Yatra
Documents required for Amarnath yatra 2022
- Application form
- Health certificate
- Four passport-sized photos
- Aadhaar card
Extra Precautions that one can take
- There is no denying that if you want to make this yatra truly mesmerising and peaceful, then you should have a good level of physical fitness. Therefore, before beginning your journey, you should start at least 4 to 5 km of morning or evening walk every day.
- As the oxygen level on the top of the mountains is very low, therefore, one can start doing yoga, Pranayam, etc to increase the efficiency of the lungs.
- It is generally advisable for women not to wear saree as it makes the journey little uncomfortable. Women clothing such as salwar kameez, pant and shirt, tracksuits are better options to try.
- It is also recommended that one should ask for the identity cards of the potters, horse keepers, pony keepers so that in case you lose them on the way, there is something with you to contact them further.
- We never know when an emergency situation arises, therefore, it would be better if you write down your name, address, mobile number on a piece of paper and keep in your pocket while you are on the journey.
- As it is clearly evident in the yatra of Kedarnath that pilgrims going there are polluting the environment with plastics, food items, and other waste products. Hence, one should keep in mind that the abode of Lord Shiva is very pious and one must respect the environment and not through garbage here in there.
- Do not wear slippers as there is a high chance that you might slip off the cliff. Trekking shoes with laces are the best options to try.
Book Your Bus Tickets to Jammu
Itinerary options for Amarnath Yatra 2022
One can reach Srinagar using flights from major cities on the way to Amarnath temple.
- Day 1: Srinagar to Pahalgam: It is a 91km distance and you shall be picked up at the airport and with the assistance from the travel agents, you shall be taken to Pahalgam. After reaching Pahalgam, all the checkin formalities shall be done at the hotel and you can relax and enjoy after that. Here, you can also explore the place on your own, go spend time with the nature. After that you come back to the hotel and spend the night here.
- Day 2: Pahalgam to Chandanwari to Sheshnag: On day 2, after having breakfast, you leave for Chandanwari via road. After reaching Chandanwari, you start your trekking journey to Sheshnag. Once you arrive at Sheshnag, you shall be taken to tents where you shall spend your time at night.
- Day 3: Sheshnag to Panchtarni to Amarnath Cave: Now you begin your trek to Panchtarni from where you trek to Amarnath Cave. After visiting the cave, paying respect to the Shivlinga, you are taken back to the Panchtarni tent where you spend the night.
- Day 4: Panchtarni to Baltal to Sonamarg: After having breakfast at Panchtarni, you proceed for Baltal which is a 9km trek. Once you reach here, you shall be taken to Sonamarg via vehicle. In Sonamarg, you will checkin to a pre-booked hotel. Enjoy the evening and stay overnight here.
- Day 5: Sonamarg to Srinagar: Enjoy a delicious breakfast, pack your bag, complete the check-out formalities and get ready to leave for Srinagar. Once you arrive in Srinagar, checkin to a hotel, relax and explore the day.
- Day 6: Departure from Srinagar : On day 6, after your breakfast, you head towards the Srinagar Airport in a vehicle and board on flights to your respective destinations.
There is also an alternative option. After arriving in Srinagar, explore the place on Day 1. You can do sightseeing and visit the places such as Shalimar Bagh, Shankaracharya Temple, Dal lake, etc.
On Day 2, drive to Sonamarg and after arriving here, get into a vehicle and leave for Baltal where you will board on a helicopter to Panchtarni. From here, trek to Amarnath cave which is 6km away. After paying your respect, track back to Panchtarni and board back on the helicopter to Baltal. From Baltal, drive to the hotel in Sonamarg.
On Day 3, after having breakfast check out from the hotel and come back to Srinagar. Explore the left out places in Srinagar and spend the night in the hotel.
On Day 4, after your breakfast, check out from the hotel and leave for Srinagar airport to board a flight to your destination for Amarnath Yatra.
After you have paid your offering to the sacred cave of Amaranth and want to extend your trip to explore the beauty of India, check out the best tourist places to visit in Jammu and places to explore in Kashmir to make your trip a wholesome experience.
Book bus ticket to Jammu
|Ambala to Jammu||Hoshiarpur to Jammu|
|Chandigarh to Jammu||Jalandhar to Jammu|
|Delhi to Jammu||Karnal to Jammu|
|Gurgaon to Jammu||Kurukshetra to Jammu|
Travel with zingbus:-
Now, who doesn’t want to travel in comfort and luxury on a budget? If you desire the same, there is nothing better than travelling through zingbus.
zingbus provides an economical and comfortable ride to make your trip a delight. We have experienced and certified drivers and marshals that are devoted to making your trip as good as possible. We make sure buses arrive on time. Each route has been intended to feature well-maintained halt sites that give a welcome break in between journeys.
For amazing discounts, purchase a ticket online or download the zingbus app. Don’t put it off any longer. Get your bookings done now!
Thanks for reading our articles! If you enjoyed them, please share and comment! Also download the zingbus app for best bus ticket offers.